- 08/2012: I graduate with a master degree from UIUC. Sam is an excellent adviser, but I decided that a PhD degree is not important, and I do not want to spend 2 more years on it.
- 03/2012: Our team, uZee, won two awards from the Cozad business plan competition (Adobe Technology Innovation Award, and EnterpriseWorks Incubator Award)
- 01/2012: Our paper Delusional Boot: Securing Cloud Hypervisors without Massive Re-engineering was accepted to Eurosys 2012
- 06/2010: Our work on improving security of cloud hypervisor featured on Zd.net blog
- 06/2010: I finished my internship at MS Research, during which I improved the security of Hyper-V as a cloud platform.
- 01/2010: I got the Best Presentation Award (and a nice trophy) for my presentation on our MAVMM in the CS track at the 7th VEF Annual conference (2010).
- 08/2009: I got my first 1st author paper accepted into ACSAC 2009. It is a work on building a customized virtual machine for malware analysis. Many thanks to my hard working teammates: Nabil Schear, HeeDong Jung, Apeksha Godiyal, Hai Nguyen, and of course Sam. Please read our paper, or visit our project webpage for more information.
- 05/2009: I switched to Prof. Sam King‘s group. Sam is working on several topics that I am interested in, including virtualization and browser security.
- 03/2009: I have passed the System & Networking Qualification exam to become a PhD candidate at UIUC CS Department. I have gathered my experience on how to deal with this exam here, and a list of sample qual questions here.
- 09/2008: I got my first conference paper accepted into HICSS 2009 (more)
Welcome to my personal homepage!
My name is Anh Nguyen. I am a fifth year grad student (as of May 2012) at the Computer Science Department - University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. I am doing research on Computer and Information Security. I was a member of Illinois Security Lab from Aug 2007 to May 2009. My current adviser is Prof. Sam King. I have an office in 4301 Siebel Center, one of the newest and modernest buildings at UIUC (from what I heard).
I am a Vietnam Education Foundation (VEF) fellow, and I served as a member of Vietnam Education Fellows and Scholars Association‘s (VEFFA) Board of Representative from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, and currently is a member of VEFFA’s Board of Advisers.
Before coming to Illinois, I finished my undergrad at Hanoi University of Technology - Faculty of Information Technology in 2006. I then worked full time as Deputy Manager – AntiVirus Dept - Bach Khoa Internetwork Center until June, 2007. I came to Urbana Champaign in August, 2007 to pursue my graduate study at UIUC. Frankly, I don’t really like going to school but I the problem is I do love learning, and so I have been in school for over 20 years….
I like listening to music, taking pictures, hiking, playing soccer, tennis, and snowboarding. I am not a fan of any particular artist, I often care about the songs themselves more than about who sing them. I have a Nikon D90 and have taken quite a few number of pictures. I climbed the highest mountain of South East Asia (Fansipan in Sapa, Vietnam) back in 2007. It was a two days trip with a lot of fun. My feet must have doubled in size after that trip (j/k). I am not a professional soccer player, but a pretty decent one. I play goal keeper.
This new website is an attempt to replace my old, boring, and static html homepage. Hopefully, you will be able to use it to achieve either one (or any combination) of the following:
- get to know me better: I am a simple person, but even a simple person is very complicated. If you are working with me, or want to work with me then we should get to know each others’ values and working methodology (you might want to check out my Favourite Quotes). I truly believe that the job would be much easier when you know and trust your partners.
- relax: I will occasionally write something funny, or share some relaxing stuffs. People say I have a good sense of humor, and I sometimes believe that they are right.
- and maybe, just maybe, learn something new: I might write about my experience doing research, preparing for exams, dealing with raw foods…, and many other things. I am a pretty open person and I always feel happy sharing my knowledge with those who need it. I usually write down any valuable experiences that I have as soon as they take place, because otherwise I will forget them very very soon. Check out my Recommended Resources
If you have any comments, either on the content, or the look of this site, or anything related to me… please feel free to contact me by writing your comments here.
Thanks for visiting, and have a nice day!