- 01/2014: I was promoted to Senior Researcher, my hard work has paid off
- 09/2012: I join WorldQuant as a quantitative researcher, looking forward to the challenges
- 08/2012: I graduate with a master degree from UIUC. Sam is an excellent adviser, but I decided that a PhD degree is not important, and I do not want to spend 2 more years on it.
- 03/2012: Our team, uZee, won two awards from the Cozad business plan competition (Adobe Technology Innovation Award, and EnterpriseWorks Incubator Award)
- 01/2012: Our paper Delusional Boot: Securing Cloud Hypervisors without Massive Re-engineering was accepted to Eurosys 2012
- 06/2010: Our work on improving security of cloud hypervisor featured on Zd.net blog
- 06/2010: I finished my internship at MS Research, during which I improved the security of Hyper-V as a cloud platform.
- 01/2010: I got the Best Presentation Award (and a nice trophy) for my presentation on our MAVMM in the CS track at the 7th VEF Annual conference (2010).
- 08/2009: I got my first 1st author paper accepted into ACSAC 2009. It is a work on building a customized virtual machine for malware analysis. Many thanks to my hard working teammates: Nabil Schear, HeeDong Jung, Apeksha Godiyal, Hai Nguyen, and of course Sam. Please read our paper, or visit our project webpage for more information.
- 05/2009: I switched to Prof. Sam King‘s group. Sam is working on several topics that I am interested in, including virtualization and browser security.
- 03/2009: I have passed the System & Networking Qualification exam to become a PhD candidate at UIUC CS Department. I have gathered my experience on how to deal with this exam here, and a list of sample qual questions here.
- 09/2008: I got my first conference paper accepted into HICSS 2009 (more)
Welcome to my homepage!
My name is Anh Nguyen. I graduated from the Computer Science Department – University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, where I spent five years doing research on Computer and Information Security. I was a member of Illinois Security Lab from Aug 2007 to May 2009 under the guidance of Prof. Carl Gunter. I worked with Prof. Sam King from 2009 to 2012.
I am a Vietnam Education Foundation (VEF) fellow. I served as a member of Vietnam Education Fellows and Scholars Association‘s (VEFFA) Board of Representative from Jan 2008 to Jan 2010, and a member of VEFFA’s Board of Advisers from Jan 2010 to Aug 2012.
Before coming to Illinois, I spent my undergrad at Hanoi University of Technology from 2001 to 2006, and then worked full time as Deputy Manager – AntiVirus Dept – Bach Khoa Internetwork Center. I came to the twin cities of Urbana-Champaign in August, 2007 to pursue my graduate study at UIUC. I don’t really like going to school that much, but I the “problem” is I really love learning and UIUC is definitely one of the best places to do so.
I enjoy listening to music, taking pictures, playing tennis, snowboarding, scuba diving, sky diving… Life is full of joy, and I enjoy the simple fact that I am alive.
I also enjoy challenges, because life is only as exciting as the challenges we overcome. I climbed the highest mountain of South East Asia (Fansipan in Sapa, Vietnam) back in 2007. It was a two days trip with a lot of fun. My feet must have doubled in size after that trip ^^
This new website is an attempt to replace my old, boring, and static html homepage. Hopefully, you will be able to use it to achieve either one (or any combination) of the following:
- get to know me better: I am a simple person, but even a simple person is very complicated. If you are working with me, or want to work with me then we should get to know each others a little bit (you might want to check out my Favourite Quotes). A job would be much easier when you know and trust your partners.
- relax: I occasionally write something funny, or share some relaxing stuffs. People say I have a good sense of humor, and sometimes I think they are right.
- and maybe, just maybe, learn something new: I might write about my experience doing research, preparing for exams, dealing with raw foods…, and many other things. I am a pretty open person and I always feel happy sharing my knowledge with those who need it. Check out my Recommended Resources
If you have any comments, either on the content & the look of this site, or anything else related to me… please feel free to contact my gmail ?minhanh (? = nguyen)
Thanks for visiting, and have a nice day!